We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks. We may receive compensation if you visit partners we recommend. Read our advertiser disclosure for more info.
Construction management programs help contractors, architects, and home builders manage ongoing construction projects. They’re used by individual contractors as well as large companies with employees and subcontractors. Roofers, general contractors, remodelers, heating professionals, and others can benefit from the software because it can prevent overruns and increase profits.
This software helps with efficiency by handling tasks such as running reports, automating estimates, and storing documents. “The software is made especially with construction companies in mind and can be a valuable way to save money and stay on track with projects. By tracking these important metrics, it enables companies to be more profitable,” said Jesse Silkoff, Founder and President of MyRoofingPal.
We researched a dozen different construction management software programs and evaluated each based on pricing, reviews, and features specifically designed to help contractors and construction companies. These are our top choices.
JobProgress is an all-in-one, cloud-based software specifically built for contractors by contractors. It’s a productivity platform that allows contractors to manage their business from anywhere at any time. The contractor and their team can track, monitor, and measure a job site’s progress. There is also an app and an online dashboard. We chose JobProgress as our best overall construction management software because it’s easy to use, has positive customer reviews, and includes a plethora of useful features. It’s used by builders, demolition and excavation companies, home remodeling, general contracting, remediation, automotive, and others.
Some of JobProgress’ features include:
- Customized job and workflow project management
- Intuitive customer relationship manager
- Sales, branding, and marketing tools
- Automated estimates and proposals with tracking
- Scheduling tools including staff and production calendars
- Secure cloud storage
- Ability to collaborate with employees and subcontractors
- Business valuation and accounting tools including reports and virtual signature
JobProgress has a one-time $500 setup fee and a monthly charge of $50 per user. All features are included for this fee, as well as a live demo and customer support and training to get you up and running. JobProgress has overwhelmingly positive customer reviews. Customers like its simple, streamlined interface and say the customer support is excellent.
RUNNER-UP, BEST OVERALL
Procore was founded in 2002 in California and is a cloud-based construction management software.1 As of 2021, it has over 1.6 million users.2 It’s designed to help every builder and every budget, by offering an easy-to-use platform where you can manage projects, financials, and resources all in one place. It’s used by contractors, owners, subcontractors, and public agencies. We chose Procore as our runner-up because of its all-in-one platform tailored to the construction industry, its multitude of features, and positive customer reviews.
Procore’s features include:
- Project management tools including a field productivity tool
- Quality and safety protocols
- Accounting and financial tools including reports
- Real-time communication for employees
- Mobility teams that allow team members to view the project from the same perspective even when on the go
- Bid management and capital planning
Pricing for Procore is as follows:
- Project Management: Starts at $375 per month (billed annually) and includes project management and scheduling
- Project Management & Financial Management: Starts at $549 per month and includes project management plus tools for budgeting impacts, minimizing expenses, and automating tasks
- Custom Bundle: Build a custom bundle with the products your business needs
Overall, Procore has positive customer reviews. Customers like that it helps them manage projects, including ones they took over from other contractors. They also like that it’s easy to use and helps with budgeting and has a helpful punch list tool.
BEST FOR SMALL JOBS
Contractors Software Group
Contractors Software Group was founded in 1984 as a reseller of commercial, residential, and industrial construction software. It began developing software for residential and light commercial construction in 1996.3 It offers variations of software specifically for remodelers, general contractors, roofing, siding, landscaping, and home builders. It focuses on each sector’s specific needs and is ideal for small jobs and small businesses. We chose Contractors Software Group as our best option for small jobs because it has niches and is modular so you can purchase what you need and not pay for features that are better suited for larger jobs.
- Project manager
- Web apps including a time card app
- Estimator tools
- Job cost accounting
- Builder portal
- Laser checks and tax forms
- Training and technical support
- Integrated CRM
Pricing for Contractors Software Group varies depending on the features you need and whether you want custom solutions or you purchase a package. Prices start at just $100 per month, but you need to contact the company for more pricing and feature details.
Overall, reviews from previous Contractors Software Group customers are positive. Users like its simple format and how easy it is to keep track of their budget and job costs. They also say the customer service is responsive and helpful.
BEST FOR HOME BUILDERS
The founder of CoConstruct had such a chaotic experience when he hired a builder in 2004 that he founded CoConstruct to help others avoid having the same experience.It has an app so it can be used on the go and has tools for preparing estimates, bids, and managing teams of employees. We choose it as best for home builders because it was specifically made for builders and includes helpful things like pre-construction tools, customizations, branding, and punch lists—and it can be integrated with QuickBooks.
Some of CoConstruct’s features include:
- Pre-construction leads, CRM, and templates
- Cost catalog, specs, and selections
- Coordinate schedules with field and office
- To-do lists
- Warranty and punch lists
- Share files and photos
- Streamline bidding and track job site progress
Pricing for CoConstruct is tiered and you can pick from the following two plans:
- Standard: $99 per month, then $299 after two months for unlimited projects, technical support, and coaching.
- Plus: $200 per month, then $299 after three months for 0-5 projects, coaching, and technical support. Costs go up for more projects.
Customers can also get custom pricing by contacting CoConstruct directly.
Customers gave CoConstruct excellent reviews. They love the options, how responsive customer support is, and how easy the software makes managing construction projects.
BEST FOR LARGER COMPANIES
Bluebeam is a software company that was founded in 2002 in Pasadena, California. It works with design and construction professionals, including design firms, architects, and specialty contractors across the world and has over 2 million users.5 One of the world’s largest design and engineering firms, AECOM, also uses Bluebeam. The company’s goal is to help you finish projects under budget and ahead of schedule. It offers two versions of software called Revu and Revu for iPad. We chose it as best for larger companies because it serves several large companies and knows what features to include that are useful. It can also be used on the go and by teams of people.
Some of Bluebeam’s features include:
- Document and drawing management
- Submittal reviews
- Project handover
- Punch process
- Design review
- Smart markup and visualization tools
Pricing for Bluebeam is divided into three tiers as follows:
- Revu Standard: $349 per seat; includes marketing, editing, and collaboration
- Revu Cad: $449 per seat; includes the standard features plus plug-ins for 2D and 3D PDF creations
- Revu Extreme: $599 per seat; includes automated processes and unlimited document collaboration
It’s best to contact Bluebeam directly to find out what each tier includes and what additional custom options are available. The per-seat pricing means that you need to pay for each device that you use the product on.
Bluebeam has mostly positive reviews and customers like being able to document their progress and edit PDFs. However, some customers found it overwhelming to use at first and thought that customer service wasn’t always helpful.
BEST FREE OPTION
Fieldwire was founded in 2013 and is focused on precision and productivity. It’s a field management solution for construction teams on projects of all sizes. It’s used on over 1,000,000 projects worldwide and is headquartered in San Francisco, California.6 It’s geared toward general and specialty contractors, owners, architects, and designers. It uses real-time push notifications and emails to ensure tasks are being completed on time. We chose Fieldwire as our best free option because it offers a free version of its software, as well as several affordable options that offer more features for additional users.
Some of Fieldwire’s features include:
- Plan management
- Document storage and progress photo capture
- Short interval planning at any scale
- Real-time progress reports
- Available on windows and mobiles
- Scheduling and punch lists
Pricing for Fieldwire is as follows:
- Basic: Free, five-user limit, for small teams who want to try out the product
- Pro: $29 per user per month billed annually, for growing teams looking to scale
- Business: $49 per user per month billed annually, for advanced teams unifying their processes
- Premier: $89 per user per month billed annually, for teams connecting Fieldwire to their core technology
Fieldwire has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau but isn’t accredited. It has overwhelmingly positive reviews with customers finding it useful and liking its mobile capabilities.
BEST FOR ESTIMATING
Clear Estimates was started by a father and son in 2004.7 It’s a web-based software tool specifically built for the construction industry. It has thousands of global users and focuses on estimating costs and writing proposals. It offers templates, free customer support, and a free 30-day trial for new users. Its estimates can be easily created in just a few minutes and are used by residential remodelers, contractors, and handymen. We chose it as our best construction management software for estimates because that’s its specialty. It provides estimate and proposal templates drawn up by RemodelMax. They even contain material and labor costs based on your area.
It’s not robust enough for a large scale construction company to use on its own but can be a great addition to other software or perfect for small remodeling businesses.
Some of Clear Estimates’ features include:
- Professional proposals
- Estimates created in a few minutes
- Over 60 templates
- Accurate cost data by area and by job type
- Free customer support and how-to videos
Pricing for Clear Estimates is simple. Each new user gets a 30-day free trial and then it costs $59 per user per month which is billed monthly—and there aren’t any contracts. Customers gave Clear Estimates excellent reviews and like its accurate quoting, great customer service, and say it’s easy to use.
What Is Construction Management Software?
Construction management software is a type of software specifically designed for the construction industry. It helps you organize, manage, store, collaborate, and plan projects of every size and complexity. It’s typically used by general and specialty contractors, construction company owners, architects, builders, and designers to manage projects, track expenses, meet deadlines, supervise staff, and produce accurate estimates.
Read more:Best Construction Management Software