The moving of applications, databases and other business elements from the local server to the cloud server called cloud migration. This article will deal with migration techniques, requirement and the benefits of cloud migration.
It is forecasted that a 28% increase in revenue for the year 2022 in cloud migration. According to recent Gartner surveys, “more than a third of organizations see cloud investments as a top-three investing priority, which is impacting market offerings.”
Prerequisites For Cloud Migration
The following are the various cloud migration done by companies a) First Local data center to Cloud computing platforms b) Cloud to Cloud migration and c) Reverse cloud migration or De-clouding. There are various advantages in such a cloud migration process and they are: a) scalability, b) powerful computing capabilities, c) flexibility, d) no issues in server maintenance, e) storage capacity, f) cost-as-go and g) performance.
Before migrating your data or application into a cloud consider the following points:
- Prepare your application for data to migrate to the cloud. Unprepared applications bring in issues while migrating.
- Evaluate the cost of migration. Most of these processes may lead to unnecessary wastages if not planned properly.
- Choose your preferences in the cloud-based on your business needs
- You need skilled personnel to manage your cloud database. Keep your data in the cloud as secure as possible.
- Nothing comes easy. Always be prepared to accept the challenges in migrating the application or data.
- Have a clear cloud migration strategy. Develop a strategy that enables the migration flexible and easy based on your business requirements.
It has three types of delivery models as a service capability and they are: a) Software as a Service (SaaS) b) Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and c) Platform as a Service (PaaS).
SaaS (Software as a Service)
- It is the topmost layer.
- Internet-based softer services for corporates
- Monthly rental or per user based services
- Need extensive customization to service
- It requires vendor support
- It sets up the basic structure in the cloud with addons and supporting components
- When everything is set up properly then the service is moved from the local or shared hosting to the SaaS cloud happens.
- The entire process is done in phases.
- It requires licenses for use by the customer
- Gmail, Google docs, and Photoshop are some of the examples of SaaS
- It is the most cost-effective way of migration
Benefits of Cloud Migration
Maintaining upscale as per requirements. This saves money for the unused data. It gives opportunities to increase or decrease resources in line according to business needs. Future IT infrastructure and resource allocation are made easy with these benefits. It reduces the workload and so we can concentrate on the main business requirements. Additional cloud-based tools help sin good assessment and migration.
Reduced cost is another important benefit that makes cloud migration a popular strategy. It is analyzed by Rackspace that 88% of companies save money when running services in the Cloud. Having a local server has ongoing maintenance and support costs that add to the annual budget. Apart from this, we do not need to pay for on-site staff to manage your systems. We do not require purchasing expensive systems and equipment for leveraging resources.
- Remote collaboration
The cloud environment allows organizations to access remotely. Their other services documents and databases can be accessed from anywhere by using collaboration and communication tools, software, and apps. This enables the worker to collaborate remotely with much effectiveness. Sending files back and forth is inefficient and time-consuming. Fortunately we have cloud computing that reduced the time and labor involved in file sharing.